Can you imagine working with a real estate agent that continually changes your name or does not know what properties you are negotiating? The image of the company would be seriously damaged, and it is not for less. Customer information (current and future) has to be updated and ready to be used. That is what a real estate database or real estate software is for .
In today’s article we will tell you what a real estate database consists of and how to make it for free in two of the most used programs, Access and Excel. We will also leave you an example of an Access template for real estate.
Why is it important to have a database for a real estate?
As we have said, having customer data at hand and systematized in some way will help you be more productive.
Logically, when you have more than three or four properties like in plot for sale in Rawalpindi, you need a great system to remember the names of your clients, nor the characteristics of the properties.
When the volume increases, the thing changes.
In addition, you also need to register data that you will hardly be able to store in your memory, such as the favorite contact method, how you got to this client or what preferences you have.
The management of customer data is called Customer Relationship Management, better known by its acronym CRM or (real estate software)
It is a system that helps you manage all the information from your clients or leads (business contacts), usually through software.
What should a real estate database include?
What data is important? Is it enough just with the name and property?
These same questions are asked by many people who have never tried to create their own real estate database.
In addition, there are many formats in which you can create it. There are real estate databases in Access, in Excel or in other formats.
The important thing is that you decide what data can help you have a better relationship with your customers, in addition to being able to analyze the evolution of your business. At least you should include:
- Name and contact information . Whether you are a contact interested in a property or a person who wants to sell your home.
- Property . If the person in the database is in it because you want to sell a property, you must enter all the data related to it. This section must include data such as the surface, the number of rooms, the state of the property or the location.
- Contacts . The big difference between a conventional and a superior database is that it includes all contacts with the customer. Thus, you will know how they got to you and what information to provide without appearing clueless.
- Behavioral data . There are many types of CRM software. The most sophisticated are able to track the activity of your customers. For example, if you connect your database with a real estate website , you can register the contacts you receive through a landing page or social networks for real estate , in addition to allowing your sales team to follow the path of the contacts that They are made.
How to create a real estate database in Access?
As we have said, a real estate database is a tool that allows you to collect and organize your company’s information.
You can store the type of information you want, from products, contacts, people, resources, etc.
Sometimes, databases start in a spreadsheet or in a text editor. When things go further or we want to sophisticate the collection of information to draw important conclusions to make decisions, these tools are not enough.
Imagine that you want to know which of your real estate agents has achieved more sales this month or which properties have sold faster depending on certain characteristics.
Interesting, right? To achieve this it is a good idea to use a database such as Access.
As you undoubtedly know, the databases contain tables. With Access, you can store all the tables you want in a single file, along with forms, reports or statistics.
All real estate databases with Access have an .accdb extension.
With Access, you can:
- Add new data to your database, such as new properties or customers of your real estate like new blocks in Capital Smart City.
- Modify data that is already included, for example, from “for sale” to “sold.”
- Delete information, for example, if a property is sold or rented.
- Organize and view the data in different ways, for example, if you want to see the properties sold in a certain location or zip code.
- Share the data with other people. There are many ways to do it, in addition to many online tools that support databases in Access format.
Access template for real estate: Example of video database
In this tutorial you can learn how a database is made so that you have your own access template for your real estate
How to make a free real estate database in Excel?
If Access is intimidating, you can always keep Excel. It is a well-known tool for real estate agents and business managers of all sizes.
As you certainly know, Excel can include numerical information, which allows automatic calculations and text information.
Let’s focus on the latter, although you can combine it with all the numerical information you want.
The first thing you should do is create a file with the name you want.
Next, create one or more sheets, according to your needs, in the lower left corner.
Once you have achieved it, start creating a table with everything you want to include in your real estate database, such as customer names, type of property, location, property status and assigned real estate agent.
It is important that you understand that this real estate database in Excel can complicate everything you want. The more data you include, the more analysis you can carry out, as long as the data does not overwhelm you and prevent you from making decisions.
If you are an advanced Excel user you will know the term “ pivot tables “. These types of tables allow you to include data within each cell, so that with a single click you can view the status of your real estate business .
For example, if you want to know which of your sellers has generated the highest income in recent weeks, you will only have to filter the information by the name of each one of them.
If, in addition, you include a dynamic table for each seller, you can include their recent operations, their profitability, the number of properties they manage or whether or not they are on vacation.
The good news of Excel is that in case you need a pivot table, it is not necessary to create it step by step. VBA programming allows you to generate tables with rows, columns and filters just by running it.